로고

김대중평화센터
  • 노벨평화상 수상기념식
  • 년도별 기념식 자료
  • 노벨평화상 수상기념식

년도별 기념식 자료

8주년 노벨상 8주년 기념 - 학술회의 - 김대중 | 전 대통령

본문

지난 10년 동안 우리는 북한과 무엇을 주고받았습니까? 첫째, 우리는 김영삼 정권부터 김대중, 노무현 정권까지 13년 동안 쌀과 비료 등 20억불 상당을 북한에 주었습니다. 연평균 1억 5000만불, 국민 1인당 5천원 정도가 됩니다. 우리와 같은 처지에 있던 서독은 20년 동안 동독에 600억불을 주었습니다. 연평균 32억불을 준 것입니다. 우리의 20배입니다. 많이 줄수록 교류가 왕성하게 되어 동독 사람들은 서독을 동경하게 되고 공산당을 반대하게 되었습니다. 결국 동독은 서독에 자발적으로 합류해서 통일을 이룩했습니다.  

둘째, 그렇다면 우리가 받은 것은 무엇입니까? 무엇보다도 긴장완화와 평화를 얻었습니다. 50년 동안의 냉전에서 화해 협력 시대의 길을 연 것입니다. 우리는 금강산 관광, 개성공단 등 북한 영토 내로 진출했습니다. 그리고 제가 대통령이 되기 전까지 50년 동안 이산가족 상봉이 200명에 불과했는데 지난 10년 동안 1만 8천명의 이산가족이 감동적인 상봉을 하게 되었습니다.

더욱 중요한 것은 북한의 민심 변화입니다. 북한 민심이 과거의 우리에 대한 증오와 적대감으로부터 감사와 동족애로 크게 바뀌었습니다. 민심이 바뀌니까 문화도 변화하기 시작했습니다. 북한 사람들은 남한의 대중가요를 부르고 영화와 TV 드라마를 비공식적으로 관람하고 있습니다. 우리가 남북 교류를 통해서 지원해준 것과 비교가 안 되는 큰 결과를 얻게 된 것입니다. ‘퍼주기’라는 말은 사실을 왜곡하는 부당한 비방에 불과합니다.

셋째, 남북의 화해 협력을 계속할 때 우리는 무엇을 기대할 수 있습니까? 무엇보다도 한반도 평화 정착을 촉진시킬 것입니다. 6자회담과 병행해서 남북간의 대화가 재개되고 서로 주고받는 협력이 이루어지면 한반도 전체는 물론 우리 한국에는 튼튼한 평화가 정착될 것입니다. 이것은 우리의 안전과 경제발전을 위해서 필수 불가결한 조건입니다.

또한 우리가 북한에 진출해서 경제 개발에 참여할 때 우리는 엄청난 이득을 얻을 수 있게 될 것입니다. 북한은 지금 가난하지만 경제발전의 잠재력이 매우 큽니다. 희귀한 지하자원을 많이 가지고 있습니다. 세계가 이를 주목하고 있습니다. 풍부한 관광자원이 있습니다. 우수하고 값싼 노동력이 있습니다. 우리가 북한의 개발에 참가한다면 어느 경쟁자보다도 유리합니다. 거리가 가깝고 말이 통하고 문화가 같습니다. 무엇보다도 우리는 같은 민족입니다. 우리보다 더 유리한 조건을 가진 나라가 어디 있겠습니까?

그리고 우리는 북한을 거쳐야만 유라시아 대륙으로 나아갈 수 있습니다. 파리, 런던까지 갈 수 있습니다. 지금 중앙아시아 일대는 자원 개발 붐이 일어날 정도로 엄청난 기회가 열리고 있습니다. 세계가 앞 다투어 참가하고 있습니다. 그러나 철길이 북한에서 막혀 우리만 진출이 제한되어 있습니다. 남북관계가 잘 풀리면 우리도 이 ‘철의 실크로드’를 타고 크게 참가할 수 있습니다. 뿐만 아니라 한반도는 태평양쪽의 물류 거점이 되고, 파리, 런던까지 가는 철길은 물류비용과 시간을 크게 절감시켜줌으로써 경제적 큰 번영의 시대를 가져올 것입니다.

남북관계를 개선해서 북한과 긴밀히 협력할 때 북한은 안심하고 개혁 개방으로 나아갈 것입니다. 그리하여 공산 중국이나 공산 베트남처럼 개방경제 시대로 들어가고, 인권문제 등에서 많은 긍정적 변화를 가져오게 될 것입니다.

저는 남북 간의 화해 협력이야말로 평화를 위한 길이요, 남북 양쪽이 공동 협력해서 경제적 약진을 이룩하는 길이라고 확신합니다. 우리가 화해 협력의 길을 굳건히 지켜 나가는 것만이 민족이 살고 큰 번영을 이루는 길입니다.

넷째, 정부당국에 요구합니다. 남북관계를 풀기 위해서는 6.15 공동선언과 10.4 선언에 대한 이행을 다짐하는 것이 필수 불가결합니다. 정권이 바뀌었어도 전 정권에서 이룩된 권리와 의무는 그대로 승계하는 것이 국제적 원칙입니다. 이명박 정권은 당연한 의무로써 이 두 개의 선언을 공식 인정해야 합니다. 그리고 문제가 있으면 별도로 보완을 해야 할 것입니다. 그래야만 남북간의 대결은 해소되고 대화와 협력의 길은 열리게 될 것입니다.

우리가 대북한 정책에 성공하려면 6자회담과 병행해서 남북관계가 호전되어야 합니다. 6자회담의 계속과 오바마 정권의 등장 등 한반도 문제를 평화적 대화로 해결하려는 조류에 적극 대응해 나가야 합니다. 잘못하면 1994년 제네바회담 당시 겪었던 통미봉남식의 고립사태에 직면하게 될 것입니다. 미리 경계해야 합니다.

저는 이명박 대통령이 이 두 개의 선언의 수용을 전제로 신뢰할 수 있는 측근을 북한에 보내 남북정상회담의 개최를 실현시켜야 할 것이라고 생각합니다. 그래야만 문제가 순조롭게 풀립니다. 또한 정부는 국내 각계각층과 대화의 상설기구를 열어 국론의 통일과 공동 협력에도 힘써야 할 것입니다. 국민 여러분들도 지금 우리가 얼마나 심각한 위기에 있다는 것을 파악하고 평화를 지키는데 적극 나서야 할 것입니다. 더 이상의 냉전이나 동족간의 위험한 대결은 결코 용납되어서는 안 될 것입니다.

존경하고 사랑하는 국민 여러분!

저는 그간 온갖 박해와 참을 수 없는 중상모략을 견디면서 결코 포기하지 않고 남북간의 화해와 민족의 평화적 통일을 위해서 일생을 바쳐왔습니다. 이제 비록 늙고 힘없는 몸이지만 오늘의 위기를 보고만 있을 수가 없습니다. 제 생명이 계속되는 한 민족의 화해와 평화적 통일을 위해서 있는 힘을 다 바쳐 헌신하겠습니다. 이명박 대통령이 원한다면 함께 무릎을 맞대고 남북문제를 논의할 용의도 있습니다.

거듭 강조합니다. 남북관계가 어떤 일이 있어도 다시 냉전시대로 돌아가서는 안 됩니다. 그것은 남북 양측이 모두 파멸적인 큰 타격을 받는 길입니다. 국민 여러분께서도 힘을 다 바쳐 감시하고 노력해 주실 것을 강조해 마지않습니다. 남북은 지난 10년과 같이 대화와 협력의 관계를 하루 속히 복원시켜야 합니다.

존경하는 여러분!

평화를 지킵시다.
    대화를 복원시킵시다.
    화해와 협력의 10년 공든 탑을 지킵시다.
    감사합니다. 

Distinguished guests!

Thank you for joining us. And I would like to deliver my gratitude to former US ambassador Laney, Professor Oberdorfer, Professor Ito, and former Unification minister Lim Dong-won for excellent lectures and fruitful discussion.

Ladies and gentlemen!

We are faced with three crises as of now in Korea. There are crisis in democracy, crisis in domestic economy, especially affecting common people, and crisis in inter-Korean relation. All of us are asked to stand alert of the situation and join the forces to overcome these three crises. Today we are gathered to discuss the inter-Korean relation so that I would like focus on that context.

Respected guests!

Over the past decade, what did we exchange with the North?

First, for 13 years through succeeding administrations of Kim Young-sam, Kim Dae-jung and Rho Moo-hyun, we gave rice and fertilizer worth 2 billion dollars to the North, which is about 150 million dollars a year, or 5,000 won per person. Looking at West Germany, which was in the same situation as Korea, spent 60 billion dollars for East Germany over two decades. That was translated into 3.2 billion dollars a year, which was 20 times higher than ours. The more West Germany assist, the more active the inter-German exchanges became, by which people in the East grew wistful of the West and came to dissent from Communism. After all East Germany joined West Germany at her own will to reach unification.

Second, then what did we receive? Most of all, we received detente and peace. A road to the era of reconciliation and cooperation was opened, ending the 50-year-old Cold War. We made inroads into the territory of North Korea with Mt. Keumgang tour and Gaesung Industrial Complex. Only 200 people had been able to find their separated families for 50 years until I took office. But the number increased to 18,000 over the past decade, who met their beloved ones.

More importantly, there is change in public sentiment in the North. Their sentiment towards the South shifted from hatred and animosity to gratitude and brotherly affection. Change in public sentiment brought cultural change. North Koreans enjoy Korean pop songs, films, and TV dramas informally. That means we obtained enormous achievements incomparable to what we provided in material through the inter-Korean exchanges. “Giving for nothing”, as some people have blamed, is mealy an unjustified criticism that distorts fact and reality.

Third, what can we expect from continued reconciliation and cooperation between the South and the North? Above all, it will facilitate the settlement of peace on the Korean Peninsula. Robust peace can only be achieved in the Korean Peninsula when inter-Korean talks and reciprocal cooperation take place in parallel with the progress in the Six Party Process. It is a prerequisite for our safety and economic development.

In addition, by taking active role in North Korean economic development, we can enjoy great benefits. Although the North is poor at the moment, it has great potential for economic development. It has large reserves of rare minerals underground, which the world has their eyes on. It has rich tourist attractions. It has cheap but qualified work forces. South Korea can achieve a vantage point above other countries if we participate in North Korea’s development. We are in the immediate vicinity, use the same language, and share common culture. Above all, we are the same people. Which country would have better conditions than us?

Passage through North Korea enables us to reach Eurasia, Paris and London. Currently Central Asia reveals enormous opportunities owing to booming resource development. The world is rushing to the area to take advantage of them. But we Koreans have inconvenience in reaching the region because the railroad is stopped at North Korea. If the inter-Korean relation is well established, we will be able to tap into the land of opportunity through that “Iron Silk Road.” What is more, the Korean Peninsula will become the logistics hub of the Pacific Rim, and the railroad leading to Paris and London will save a great deal of logistic cost and time, opening up the era of economic prosperity.

When the inter-Korean relation is improved and two Koreas closely cooperate, Pyongyang will be relaxed and move onto reform and openness. Then, the open economy era will begin as it did in Communist China and Communist Vietnam. Moreover, improvements in human rights and others will sweep though the country.

I am confident in my belief that inter-Korean reconciliation and cooperation provide a road to peace and economic lift-off. Korean people’s sustainability and glorious prosperity can only be assured through our strong commitment to guarding the road to reconciliation and cooperation.                          

Fourth, I would like to ask this to the Korean government. In order to rescue the troubled inter-Korean relation, it is essential to issue an official declaration promising to implement June 15th Joint Declaration and the October 4th Declaration. It is an international norm that a new government takes over rights and duties worked out by previous governments. The Lee Myung-bak administration is obliged to recognize these two declarations officially and dutifully. If the administration finds some problems in doing so, it may correct or complement them. Only then, the confrontation between the North and the South will be resolved and the road to dialog and cooperation will take shape.   

To ensure success in our North Korean policy, the North and South relation has to be improved along with the Six-Party Process. Seoul has to be proactive and responsive in dealing with the continuing Six-Party Process and appearance of the Obama administration in the US, both of which pursue peaceful dialog in resolving issues on the Korean Peninsula. If we take the wrong step, we might face isolation as was the case in 1994 Geneva talks. We have to be on alert.

I believe that President Lee should send a reliable envoy to Pyongyang on the condition of acknowledging the two declarations and realize the inter-Korean summit talks. Only then, the situation will move on to a positive direction. In addition, the government will have to establish a standing body for dialog among all sorts of people as a way to unify people’s opinions and elicit active cooperation. The Korean people should also understand that the country is in serious difficulty and make join efforts to keep peace. No further cold war or dangerous confrontation between the same people should be allowed.

My Fellow citizens!

I have never given in to unjust persecution and intolerable aspersion and devoted my life to South-North reconciliation and peaceful unification. Although I am old and weary now, I cannot just sit idle and watch the situation of today. As long as my life continues, I will commit myself to people’s reconciliation and peaceful unification with all my strengths. If President Lee wants, I am happy to sit with him and discuss the inter-Korean issues.

Let me reiterate. The inter-Korean relation must not go back to the era of the Cold War in any circumstances. The going-back would certainly inflict a self-destructive blow on both Koreas sure. I emphatically ask the Korean people to exert all-out efforts to watch and improve the situation. Seoul and Pyongyang should put their dialog and cooperative relation back on track very soon as they did in the past decade.    

Distinguished guests! 

Let’s keep peace!

Let’s restore dialog!

Let’s not waste the hard work of the last 10 years for reconciliation and cooperation!

Thank you.

Total 59건 3 페이지
    • RSS
    년도별 기념식 자료 목록
    번호 제목 글쓴이 조회
    29 9주년
    평화센터
    조회 Hit 1474           
    평화센터 1474
    28 9주년
    평화센터
    조회 Hit 1480