• 노벨평화상 수상기념식

년도별 기념식 자료

7주년 노벨상 7주년 기념 주요연설 - 김대중 전대통령 연설문

본문

주요 연설

2007년 12월 4일(화), 63빌딩 국제회의장

4631e3c692a7afe0569b16f1ccb3bebb_1642921173_3601.jpeg

"버마 민주화의 밤" 연설문

존경하는 임채정 국회의장, 한덕수 국무총리, 김원기 전 국회의장, 이해찬 · 한명숙 전 국무총리, 그리고 대통합민주신당의 오충일 대표, 민주당의 박상천 대표. 정동영, 문국현 , 이인제 대통령 후보 등 여러분이 다망하신 중에도 오늘의 '버마 민주화의 밤'에 출석하셔서 격려해 주신 것을 진심으로 감사하게 생각합니다.

특히 노르웨이 노벨위원회 올레 단볼트 뫼스 회장과 가이어 룬데스타드 사무총장, 그리고 빌 클린턴 전 미국 대통령.. 리하르트 폰 바이체커 전 독일대통령, 고노 요헤이 일본 중의원 의장 등 여러분께서 귀중한 격려 메시지를 보내 주신 것을 무한한 영광으로 생각하고 깊이 감사드립니다.

그리고 알렉산더 버시바우 주한 미국대사, 워릭 모리스 영국대사, 라르스 바리외 스웨덴 대사 등 외교계의 지도자 여러분이 참석해 주신 것은 참으로 큰 영광이고 버마 민주인사들에게 다시없는 격려가 된다는 것을 말씀드리고 감사드립니다.

또한 먼 곳에서 일부러 오셔서 좋은 말씀을 해 주신 한 양훼 유로버마 회장과 버틸 린트너씨 두 분에 대해서도 특별히 감사를 드립니다.

오늘날 인류는 많은 문제점을 안고 있는 가운데도 특히 군사독재, 빈부격차, 에이즈ㆍ말라리아와 같은 가혹한 질병에 시달리고 있습니다. 이 중에 가장 중요한 것은 독재를 종식시키고 민주화를 이룩하는 것입니다. 민주화가 이룩되어야만 빈부격차도 해소되고 국민의 질병을 해결하는 정치가 이루어질 수 있습니다.

오늘날 세계에 도처에서 군사독재가 행해지고 있습니다. 그러나 그 중에도 가장 문제가 심각한 곳이 버마입니다. 버마 군부는 45년 동안 독재를 강행하고 있습니다. 1988년에는 3천명의 민주인사를 살해했고, 이번 민주화 투쟁에도 무력 사용을 서슴지 않음으로써 많은 사람들이 목숨을 잃은 것으로 알려져 있습니다. 버마 군부는 자기들이 주도한 선거에서 아웅산 수지 여사가 이끄는 민주세력이 80% 이상의 의석을 차지하자 이를 불법적으로 무효화시키고 정권을 내주지 않았습니다. 오늘날 버마는 많은 천연자원을 가지고 있는 나라이지만 국민은 극도의 가난 속에 고통을 받고 있고 소수 군부 사람들만 부귀영화를 누리고 있습니다. 이러한 버마 군부의 행태는 인류의 양심으로서는 도저히 용납할 수 없는 처사라 아니할 수 없습니다.

준경하는 여러분!

독재에 시달리는 국민들을 돕는 것은 민주주의를 신봉하는 우리들의 신성한 권리이자 의무입니다. 한국이 반세기 동안 독재에 시달릴 때 세계의 민주인사들은 우리에 대해서 성원을 아끼지 않았습니다. 오늘날 한국 민주주의는 국민의 희생을 아끼지 않는 투쟁의 결과이지만 또 한편으로는 세계 민주세력의 성원의 덕도 컸다고 생각합니다. 이제는 우리가 도울 차례인 것입니다.

저는 동료 노벨평화상 수상자인 아웅산 수지 여사와 버마 민주세력의 투쟁에 대해서 일관되게 지원해 왔습니다. 야당시절이나 대통령이 되었을 때나 퇴임 후에도 저는 이러한 노력을 쉬지 않았습니다. 제가 1994년 '아태민주지도자회의(FDL-AP)'를 창설했을 때 버마의 아웅산 수지 여사에 대한 지원이 주의제였습니다. 저는 대통령에 취임한 후에도 일관된 노력을 했습니다. 1999년 '아세안+한중일 정상회의'가 필리핀에서 열렸을 때 저는 버마 군부의 지도자인 탄 쉐 총리를 직접 만나 아웅산 수지 여사와 협력해서 민주화를 이룩하도록 장시간 설득했습니다. 2000년 9월 유엔천년정상회의 때는 클린턴 미국 대통령과 함께 버마 민주화를 지원하는 결의안을 발의했고, 원탁회의에서도 이를 강조했습니다. 퇴임 후에는 버마를 직접 방문해서 아웅산 수지 여사를 만나고자 했으나 입국비자를 얻지 못해서 포기한 일도 있습니다. 작년에는 광주에서 '노벨평화상수상자 광주정상회의'를 열었으며 그 자리에서 버마 민주화를 지지하는 결의안을 채택했습니다. 이 외에도 기회 있을 때마다 단독으로 또는 동료 수상자들과 함께 버마 민주화를 지원하는 노력을 아끼지 않았으며 앞으로도 그러할 것입니다.

우리의 경험에 비추어서 국내에서 국민들의 목숨을 건 반독재 민주화 투쟁이 계속되고 해외에서 세계 민주세력의 성원이 끝이지 않는 한 버마에서의 민주주의 회복은 필연적으로 이루어질 것입니다. 우리는 버마 민주화를 지원하지만 우리가 버마 민주주의를 쟁취해서 버마 국민들에게 선물할 수 있다는 오만한 생각은 결코 가져서는 안 됩니다. 버마 민주주의를 위한 투쟁의 주체는 어디까지나 버마 민주인사들이고 버마 국민들입니다. 우리는 이를 지지하고 성원하는 데 불과한 것입니다. 한국에서 군사독재의 처참한 탄압을 겪어온 우리로서는 오늘의 버마 국민들이 겪고 있는 고통에 대해서 내 일처럼 이를 걱정하고 격려하고 있는 것입니다.  

존경하는 여러분!

오늘 밤의 이 행사는 버마 국민들에게 큰 격려가 될 것으로 믿습니다. 민주주의를 갈망하고 있는 버마 국민들은 세계에서 보내는 성원을 목마르게 기다리고 있습니다. 저는 버마 민주화의 영웅인 아웅산 수지 여사와 버마 민주세력의 불굴의 노력이 반드시 성공할 것을 확신해 마지않습니다. 또한 한국과 세계 도처에서 피나는 망명생활을 보내면서 조국의 민주화를 위해 헌신하고 노력하는 버마 민주인사들에게 아낌없는 존경과 성원을 보내야겠습니다. 그리하여 버마 민주주의가 실현되는 그날 버마 국민과 함께 얼싸안고 승리를 노래합시다.

특별히 오늘의 행사를 맡아서 성공적으로 진행시켜 주신 김성수 총장과 관계자 여러분께 심심한 감사를 드립니다. 그리고 오늘 밤을 축하하고 결의를 다지는 문화행사를 이끌어 주신 신형원 교수와 버마 한국 양측의 참여자 여러분께 감사를 드립니다. 다시 한번 여러분의 참석으로 이와 같은 성대한 행사가 이루어진 것을 감사해 마지않습니다.

새해가 다가오고 있습니다. 2008년에는 세계 모든 민주세력 특히 버마의 민주세력에게 성공과 승리의 한 해가 되기를 바라마지 않습니다. 감사합니다.

Speech by

Dr. Kim Dae-jung Former President of the Republic of Korea at A Night for Democracy in Burma in commemoration of the 7th Anniversary of His Receiving the

2000 Nobel Peace Prize

Seoul - December 4, 2007

Your Excellency Lim Chae-jung, Speaker of the National Assembly, Your Excellency Han Duck-soo, Prime Minister of Korea, Honorable Kim Won-ki, Former Speaker of the National Assembly, Honorable Former Prime Ministers Lee Hae-chan and Han Myung-sook, Honorable Oh Chung-il, Representative of the United New Democratic Party, Honorable Park Sang-chun of the Democratic Party, Honorable Presidential Candidates Chung Dong-young and Moon Kuk-hyun, and distinguished guests! I sincerely thank you for joining 'A night for Democracy in Burma' despite your busy schedules and sharing your support and encouragement for Burma's democratization.  

In particular, I would like to extend my gratitude to Chairman Ole Danbolt Mjs and Secretary Geir Lundestad of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Former President Bill Clinton of the United States, Former President Richard von Weizscker of Germany, and Speaker Kono Yohei of Japan's Lower House for sending their precious messages and encouraging remarks.  

Furthermore, I am indeed honored that Your Excellencies US Ambassador Alexander Vershvow, British Ambassador Warwick Morris, Swedish Ambassador Lars Vargo, and many other diplomatic missionaries are here together with us, which will be enormous encouragement to Burmese activists who join us tonight.

My special thanks also go to Mr. Harn Yawnghwe, Executive Director of the Euro-Burma Office, and Mr. Bertil Lintner, renowned journalist who traveled long distances to give us commemorative speeches tonight.

Today we are faced with numerous issues ranging from military dictatorship, to the gap between the rich and the poor, and to dreadful diseases such as AIDS and malaria, but the most critical one is to end dictatorship and build democracy. Only when democracy is established, politics will be able to take care of other issues like income gap and public health.

Still many people are suffering from military dictatorships across the world, but one of the most horrible dictatorships is the Burmese military regime, which has oppressed its people over the last 45 years. In 1988, the military government killed about 3,000 pro-democracy activists, and did not hesitate to use force during crackdown on the recent mass uprising in late September. When the National League for Democracy led by Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory occupying more than 80% of parliamentary seats in the general election driven by the military regime itself, it refused to accept the result and did not give up its power. Today the people of Burma are suffering from extreme poverty though the nation is endowed with abundant natural resources. Only a few military officers live in splendor, which cannot be tolerated.  

Ladies and gentlemen!

For us who believe in democracy, it is our divine rights and duties to help others who are still tormented under dictatorships. When we Koreans were in dire situation under military junta over half a century, activists across the world did not spare their support for us. Democracy that we enjoy today could be achieved by Koreans' struggle not fearful of sacrifices, but it was also largely thanks to the strong support of the international community. Now it is time we Koreans help others.

I have consistently supported pro-democracy activities of my colleague Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and other Burmese activists. Throughout the days of opposition leader and my Presidency, and even after retirement, I have not ceased the efforts to assist and help them. When I established the Forum of Democratic Leaders in the Asia-Pacific in 1994, one of major agenda for the Forum was supporting Aung San Suu Kyi, and my assistance for her and her colleagues continued into my Presidency. In 1999 when I attended the 'ASEAN Plus Three Summit' held in the Philippines, I met with Senior General Than Shwe and persuaded him over many hours to seek dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi. At the 'United Nations Millennium Summit' in September 2000, I also proposed a resolution on Burma's democratization together with President Clinton, and I called for action again at the following Roundtable meetings. After retirement, I intended to visit Burma and meet Aung San Suu Kyi in person, though the plan was not realized since I could not gain a visa to Burma. Last year, I held the 'Gwangju Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates' where my colleague Laureates and I adopted another resolution on Burma. I did and will, whenever possible, continue to help Burma's democratization.  

Looking back on our experiences, I believe democracy will be eventually restored in Burma, as long as the people of Burma continue their struggle against military regime without fearing sacrifices, and as long as the international community supports their democratization efforts. However, we should not fall into an arrogant idea that we can fight for democracy instead of the Burmese and bring it to them as a present. The main players should be Burmese activists and the people of Burma themselves. What we can do is only supporting and assisting their democratization efforts. We, Koreans who have already experienced the brutal oppression of military dictatorship share deep compassion and send our sincere encouragement to the people of Burma.   

Ladies and gentlemen!

Tonight's event will be enormous encouragement to the people of Burma, who earnestly desires democracy and would appreciate the attention and support of the international community. I believe the indomitable and truly heroic struggle of Aung San Suu Kyi and other Burmese activists will eventually succeed. In the mean time, we will need to send our unwavering support for the Burmese activists who are dedicated to the nation's democratization, in spite of many difficulties during their exile to other nations. Let us support them and dream of the day when we will celebrate democracy in Burma sharing joyous hugs with the people of Burma.

Last but not least, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to Dr. Kim Soung-soo, President of the SungKongHoe University, and many others who did not spare their efforts in helping organize a successful event tonight. My special thanks also go to Professor Shin Hyung-won, and Burmese activists and Koreans who prepared tonight's special concert. We could become all united and renew our determination through the special concert. Once again, I sincerely appreciate your attendance, which made tonight's occasion all the more significant and great success.   

A new year is fast approaching. I hope 2008 will be a year when all pro-democracy activists across the world, especially those in Burma can reap great successes and victory. Thank you.

Total 0건 1 페이지
    • RSS
    년도별 기념식 자료 목록
    번호 제목 글쓴이 조회
    게시물이 없습니다.

SEARCH