로고

김대중평화센터
  • 6·15 남북정상회담
  • 년도별 기념식 자료
  • 6·15 남북정상회담

년도별 기념식 자료

9주년 6·15 남북정상회담 9주년 기념식 - 특별강연 ( 박지원 국회의원 )

본문

47c9f21d54fa117336a6c380f4b1e64f_1640786520_5511.gif

47c9f21d54fa117336a6c380f4b1e64f_1640785998_9903.jpg

저는 공보수석으로 대통령님의 거의 모든 행사를 지근거리에서 보필했고, 2000년초 우연히 만난 정몽헌 회장과 남북정상회담의 가능성에 대한 의견을 교환했습니다. 저는 당연히 대통령님께 보고를 했습니다. 대통령님께서는 정주영 회장의 소떼 방북 등을 말씀하시면서 “현대그룹은 가능할 것이니 계속 만나 의견을 교환하라”고 지시했습니다. 제가 창구가 되어 당시 임동원 국정원장과도 협의하면서 추진했습니다.

2000년 2월초 일본 기업인 요시다와 정몽헌 회장 등을 롯데호텔에서 만나 남북정상회담에 대한 의견을 교환했습니다. 국정원에서 요시다와 북 당국자간의 교신내용을 확인한 결과 좋은 진전이 이루어진다는 사실도 알게 되었습니다.

북한에서는 ‘어떤 경우에도 국정원을 상대하지 않겠다’는 성명이 나왔고, 3월초 싱가폴에서 만나자는 연락이 왔습니다.

대통령님께서는 저에게 ‘대북특사를 맡으라’고 하셨고 ‘저는 부적합하고 통일부장관이 맞는 게 좋겠다’고 말씀드렸지만 “통일부장관은 노출의 가능성이 있고 북측에서 측근을 바라고 있으니 박 장관이 다녀오라”고 하셔서 제가 맡기로 했습니다.

국정원의 김보현 국장, 서훈 단장과 3월 8일 싱가폴에서 북측 특사인 송호경 아태부위원장 등 네 사람과 만나 협상을 시작했습니다. 저는 김대중 대통령님의 철학과 열정, 베를린선언에 대해 설명했습니다.

두 차례에 걸쳐 5시간 이상 대화를 나눈 송호경 대남특사가 “김대중 대통령님의 음성을 듣는 것 같습니다. 이번 회담은 발표하지 말고 다음에 연락해서 만나는 회담을 1차로 하자”고 했습니다. 저는 그 순간 정상회담의 성공을 확신했습니다. 후일 생각하니 싱가폴 회동은 김정일 위원장의 지시는 받았지만 군부와는 협의가 안되었기 때문에 발표하지 말자고 했던 것으로 판단되었습니다.

1차 상해, 2차, 3차 베이징회담을 거쳐 저와 송호경 특사가 6.15남북정상회담 개최를 합의한 4.8합의서에 서명함으로써 분단 반세기만에 남북정상이 만나는 역사가 시작됐습니다.

회담 내내 의제, 합의문 등 의전관계 문제도 있었지만 가장 난관은 경제지원의 요구였습니다. 저는 단호히 거절했습니다. 회담이 성공해서 남북간 교류협력을 하면 중국과 베트남처럼 북한 경제도 발전할 수 있다는 점을 강조했습니다. 대북송금특검에서도 현대가 철도, 통신 등 7대사업 대가로 4억5천만 달러를 제공했다는 사실이 대법원 판결로 확정됐습니다.

현재 대북특사 파견의 필요성이 거론되고 있습니다. 저는 북한이 이명박정부의 어떤 제안도 받지 않으리라고 생각하지만, 만약 이명박 대통령께서 직접 ‘6?15공동선언과 10?4선언을 인정하고 지키겠다’는 선언을 하고 특사파견 등을 제안하면 가능성이 있다고 봅니다. 제가 그랬던 것처럼 대북특사는 이명박 대통령의 음성을 전달할 수 있는 측근이 선정되고, 그럴 때 경험을 가진 저 같은 사람들이 도울 수 있을 것입니다.  

새로운 남북협력의 시대를 열 수 있다면 저는 어떤 고초가 있더라도 다시 그 역할을 하겠습니다. 제 생애에 김대중 대통령님께서 지명해 주신 대북특사가 가장 영광스러운 일이었습니다. 경청해 주셔서 감사합니다.

47c9f21d54fa117336a6c380f4b1e64f_1640786054_5662.gif

President Kim, who facilitated the first peaceful power transition since the foundation of Korea, proposed an idea of holding an inter-Korean summit in his inauguration speech on February 25, 1998.  

Back then, I was the Presidential Press Secretary and obliged to stand by President Kim all the time in almost every presidential event. Early 2000, I happened to meet the late Hyundai Chairman Jung Mong-heun, and exchanged opinions on possibility of a South-North summit.  

I reported the meeting to President Kim immediately. Mentioning the late Hyundai founder Jung's visit to the North with herds of cattle, he instructed me to continue to contact Chairman Jung Mong-heun since he believed Hyundai Group might be able to arrange it. Since then I had become a contact point and sought for advice and consultation from Director of National Intelligence Service Lim Dong-won, and we worked to make things happen.  

Early February 2000, I met with Chairman Jung and Japanese businessman Yosida at Lotte Hotel and discussed the possibility of the inter-Korean summit.

And I got NIS confirmation that positive progress was made toward the intended direction after the intelligence agency checked out communications done back and forth between Mr. Yosida and North Korean counterparts.  

In the meantime, North Korea released a statement saying that the NIS should not be a channel in any circumstances and proposed a meeting in Singapore early March.  

President Kim asked me to assume the position of the special envoy to North Korea, and I declined by saying, "I am not eligible for the position. Instead, the Minister of Unification would be the right man." But he insisted, "the news may be exposed if the Minister takes the job. And Pyongyang also wishes to have my closest aid as a counterpart so that you'd better go." I accepted that offer finally.

On March 8, I was sitting on the negotiation table together with Mr. Kim Bo-hyun and Seo hun of the NIS and Deputy Commissioner of Asia-Pacific Committee Song Ho-kyung, who was the North Korean special envoy. I explained President Kim's philosophy, passion for unification, and his Berlin declaration.  

After five-hour long conversation in two sessions, special envoy Song said, "it was like I have been talking with President Kim. Let's keep this meeting to ourselves and officialize the next meeting and on."

At that short moment, I became highly confident that the inter-Korean summit would be realized. In retrospect, I assume that the meeting in Singapore was endorsed by Chairman Kim, but not discussed with the army. That's why they sought not to make the meeting officialized, I believe.

Having gone through the first meeting in Shanghai, and the second and the third meetings in Beijing, special envoy Song from the North and I from the South signed on the agreement dated April 8 for the inter-Korean summit, which marked the beginning of a history for the first inter-Korean summit after a half-century-old people's division.  

Upon the preparation embarked, I had to deal with various issues from meeting agenda, contents of a joint statement, and protocol. But the biggest obstacle came with North's request for economic support. I responded with decisive rejection. I kept emphasizing that a successful summit would lead to inter-Korean exchanges and cooperation, on which North Korea could build prosperous economy like China and Vietnam. Questions over this matter have been cleared up through investigations by special prosecutors, which found that Hyundai provided Pyongyang with USD 450 million in return for business permit in 7 areas including railroads and communications. The fact was also confirmed in the supreme court ruling.    

Currently a possibility and necessity of sending a special envoy to the North is much discussed. I doubt that North Korea would accept any offer from the Lee government, but if President Lee Myung-bak announces that the government acknowledges the legitimacy of the June 15 South-North Joint Declaration and October 4 Joint Statement and proposes to dispatch a special envoy, North Korea may accept the offer.

As I did in the past, a special envoy to North Korea should be the one who is closest to President Lee and able to deliver presidential intention as it is. If needed, I will make myself available to facilitate the process as the first trailblazer in such endeavor.  

If there is another possibility to open an era of inter-Korean cooperation anew, I will do the same, taking all the troubles happily to make things happen. And if I am asked to pick the most honorous memory in my life, I will certainly say that it was serving as the special envoy to North Korea at the request of President Kim Dae-jung. Thank you.

Total 114건 7 페이지
    • RSS
    년도별 기념식 자료 목록
    번호 제목 글쓴이 조회
    24 9주년
    평화센터
    조회 Hit 1349           
    평화센터 1349
    23 9주년
    평화센터
    조회 Hit 1527           
    평화센터 1527